Thursday, June 9, 2011

Day Two -- Submission to Authority

A NOTE ON THE BOOK -- Due to a glitch with the eBook store, not all of you who purchased the book have study questions at the end of each chapter.  If you do not, let me know.  As a result, when I identified pages yesterday, some of you may have been totally confused as to what I was talking about.  SO... I will not use page numbers going forward to eliminate confusion.   


As we noted yesterday, every single day for the rest of their lives, our sons will be expected -- REQUIRED -- to submit to someone.  In the Leader's Guide (LG), Brooke says, "From parents, to teachers, to bosses, to government officials, and even to GOD Himself, they will always have someone in a position of authority over them."


Even when they are grown (and perhaps ESPECIALLY when they are grown), our sons will need to know how to submit to authority.  We can MAKE them do that now.  But when they're older, we won't be standing on the sidelines, looking over their shoulder, FORCING them to submit.  


So what are we to do?  The only thing we can -- get on our knees and PLEAD with God on behalf of our sons.  


"But Peter and the apostles answered, "We must obey God rather than men." - Acts 5:29


Pray that HE will lay it on your son(s) heart to always submit...
...to God, 
...to his leaders with a joyful heart,
... to others out of reverence to Christ.  

When was the last time you told your son you were proud of a choice he made to submit to authority?  In the LG, Brooke says, "Even when they're little our boys need to know that mama sees and rejoices over their wise choices and cries out to God over their foolish ones."  Yesterday, on our facebook group page, Amie White shared that they have found that praise for obedience goes a very long way.  I couldn't agree more.

I want to share a story with you.  This story is not to give the impression that my sons are always obedient and submit to authority 100% of the time.  It's quite the opposite -- submitting to authority is something we and one of our sons in particular have struggled with since, well, birth.  But God is at work in his heart in ways I can't describe.  Back to my story...

Hudson was playing in the back yard with our neighbor boys -- boys who are older than he is.  They specifically asked if they could ride around the block.  I know this is something Hudson wanted to do for a variety of reasons -- to be cool and hang out with the older boys, to be given that independence and excitement to actually ride around the block.  But he's only six, and our block is VERY big and requires navigating some steep hills.

Hudson is a GREAT bike rider -- he can easily ride 20 miles on a family bike ride and we have to work to keep up with him.  But from a safety standpoint, I just feel like he's too young to ride around the block without an adult.  I also knew that the neighbor boys were not allowed to do it, so I said, "No," and headed inside to start dinner.

A few minutes later, I peeked out the window to see Hudson sitting on the sidewalk....alone.  No sooner had I stepped out the door than the neighbor boys came around the corner...from their ride around the block.

After sending the boys home (followed by a quick phone call later to their mom so she knew about their choice), I sat down next to Hudson and asked why he was sitting on the sidewalk. He said, "Mom, you told me I needed to stay in our yard and not ride around the block.  I was obeying."

If you could see Hudson and the long, thick eyelashes and melting eyes this child has, coupled with the sweetness of his obedience, you would have shed a tear or two right along with me.  I pulled him onto my lap (because he still likes to cuddle with me -- aren't I lucky?!) and told him just how proud I was of his choice to submit to my authority -- and just how proud God was of him, too.  We celebrated with high fives, hugs, a phone call to dad to share the great news, and a bike ride around the block with mom after dinner.

Make it a point today to lavish love and praise on your son when he chooses wisely...even in the small things.  


The ten prayers for "Submission to Authority" should be on the page following the "Obedience" prayers.  If you have difficulty finding them, let me know.

And food for thought...In the book, Brooke talks about hearing a speaker say these words: "Ladies, if your man cannot submit to Jesus, he cannot lead you.  A man must be willing to be led before he can truly lead."  How does this change your understanding of the importance of teaching your son(s) obedience?  Feel free to comment here, or on the facebook group page.

Once again, I will be praying for each of you today -- for the strength that you will need to persevere in this challenge and for Him to move in the hearts of your sons.  Please let me know if there are any other prayer requests I can offer up for you.  Anything you're struggling with?

No comments: